Truby Tidbits

Truby Tidbits archive

Simon Truby’s land was mostly undeveloped in 1890. A decade later, the vacant field above the farmhouse became Oak Hill; the field below is now N 8th St. & higher.

NorthEndApollo-c1890

Advertisements

Truby farmland circa 1890

2016-06-05_0-34-08

Simon Truby’s Family

Simon Truby farmhouse, circa 1890, at left. Sometime before 1950, a brick pantry and later a garage was added to what used to be the front of the house. The facade facing Terrace Ave today used to be the back of the house. Then&Now

Then and Now

SimonTrubys1844-LandPurchase In 1843, Simon Truby of Warren (now Apollo) purchased 156+ acres of land from Dr. James R. Speer and his wife Hettie of Pittsburgh, at a cost of $3,000. Truby’s original farm included the north end of Apollo above 5th Street, parts of Oak Hill, Pegtown, and North Apollo up to about 16th Street.

Simon Truby’s 156-acre farm

American Bond


The exterior walls of Simon Truby’s house are 4 bricks deep, and they’re arranged in an American (or common) bond pattern, with 6 rows of lengthwise bricks sandwiched between single rows of crosswise “header” bricks. BrickPattern2The American bond pattern is also seen in the brick houses built by Simon’s brother Capt. Henry Truby of Gilpin Twp. and by Dr. William McCullough at 323 First Street, Apollo.

Brick Patterns